Taxi Rates in Fiji
Taxis in Fiji are an affordable way to get around the towns of Viti Levu, Vanua Levu, Taveuni and Ovalau. While taxis are required to run on meters within most of Fiji’s towns, long-distance trips are available where the fare can often be negotiated. To help you understand the taxi prices in Fiji, we’ve put together this quick overview of the taxi fares you need to know.
For more advice, check out The Guide to Taxis in Fiji.
Tips for Taking a Taxi in Fiji
- To make sure you’re getting in a licensed taxi, which should have a meter, look out for number plates that start in “LT”
- Taxis are priced based on the distance – not per person
- You are not required to tip your taxi driver but it’s good practice to round your fare up to the nearest dollar
- If using a taxi as an airport transfer, consider the alternative airport transport options which could be cheaper
- Taxis are not always the cheapest way to hire a driver for the day, especially for hiring a driver on the mainland – see How to Hire a Driver in Fiji for advice.
For more tips, check out 10 Things You Need to Know About Taxis in Fiji.
Taxi Prices in Viti Levu
Taxis can be an affordable way to get around towns in Fiji, where taxis must use meters for trips within town areas. The taxi meter flagfall in Viti Levu is around FJ$5 from the airport and FJ$1.50 elsewhere between 6am and 10pm. It is FJ$2 outside of these hours. It is then FJ$1 per km/FJ$1.60 per mile (it will be measured in metres in the taxi).
Taxi Prices from Nadi International Airport
One of the most popular journeys in Viti Levu is between Nadi International Airport and the resorts around Viti Levu. Note that only yellow taxis pick passengers up from the airport. Only “Denarau Taxis” are permitted to service Denarau.
- To Nadi town: FJ$10-$20
- To Wailoaloa Beach: FJ$10-$15
- To Martintar: FJ$10-$20
- To Denarau: FJ$30-$50
- To Vuda: FJ$25-$35
- To Lautoka: FJ$45-$55
- To Sigatoka: FJ$80-$130
- To the Pacific Harbour: FJ$170-$200
- To Rakiraki: FJ$160-$200
- To Suva: FJ$200-$230
Find out more in How Much Does a Nadi Airport Taxi Cost?
Other Taxi Prices for Viti Levu
Some other journeys you might be interested in knowing the cost of taxis in Viti Levu include:
- Nausori Airport to Suva city centre: FJ$30-$50
- Suva to the Pacific Harbour: FJ$40-$60
- Crossing Suva city: FJ$4-$8
- Suva to Colo-i-Suva Forest Park: FJ$15-$25.
Taxi Prices in Vanua Levu, Taveuni and Ovalau
The only other islands with taxis in Fiji are the islands of Ovalau, Vanua Levu and Taveuni.
Taxi Prices in Vanua Levu
Taxis are only permitted to use a meter in Vanua Levu’s town areas, which is the same price as in Viti Levu: the flagfall is around FJ$5 from the airport and FJ$1.50 elsewhere between 6am and 10pm and FJ$2 outside of these hours. It is then FJ$1 per km.
Fares between towns or for sightseeing in the countryside can be negotiated. For instance, expect prices to be around FJ$75-$100 to travel between Labasa and Savusavu. Hiring a driver is typically around FJ$20-$50 an hour.
Taxi Prices in Taveuni
There are limited taxis in Taveuni and they are not permitted to use a meter. For this reason, it is best to ask or negotiate a price before agreeing to a ride. Some typical prices in Taveuni include:
- Matei Airport to the Matei resorts: FJ$2-$10
- Matei to Bouma (Tavoro) Falls: FJ$20-$50
- Matei to Waiyevo: FJ$20-$50.
Taxi Prices in Ovalau
Ovalau in the Lomaiviti Islands has taxis is Levuka. Taxis in Levuka are not permitted to use a taxi meter, so it is best to ask or negotiate a price before agreeing to a ride.