Sailing Times & Distances to Fiji
The great South Pacific voyage awaits with the islands of Fiji sitting at the centre of it all. Fiji presents a juxtaposition of sailing grounds among its 333 islands, from the luxury island resort landscape of the Mamanuca Islands to the remote atolls where times stands still in the Lau Group. So how long does it take to get to this sailor’s paradise? How long does it take to sail to Fiji? We go over the sailing times and distances in the guide below.
For more tips, head over to the 10 Tips for Sailing in Fiji.
About Sailing to Fiji
Fiji has seven ports of entry: Port Denarau (Viti Levu), Lautoka (Viti Levu), Vuda (Viti Levu), Suva (Viti Levu), Savusavu (Vanua Levu), Levuka (Ovalau) and Rotuma.
The sailing season is between May and October. Learn more about Fiji’s climate in What are the Seasons in Fiji?
It is compulsory for yachts visiting from overseas to submit an Advance Notification form to Fiji Customs at least 48 hours prior to their ETA. Citizens from selected countries get a free four-month visa upon entry into Fiji.
Crews using village anchorages should abide by village protocol to present a sevusevu to the village chief.
For formalities and protocols explained, see The Sailing Guide to Fiji.
Sailing Distances in the South Pacific
The South Pacific is a popular sailing destination where sailing from one exotic island nation to the next takes less than a week each time. Fiji is in the centre of the action, with New Caledonia and Vanuatu to the west, Wallis & Futuna and Tuvalu to the north, and Samoa, American Samoa, Niue and Tonga to the east.
So how long does it take to sail to Fiji from its South Pacific neighbours? Check out the below distance and time calculations. Note that all of the below times and distances are calculated when the vessel is doing an average speed of 10 knots. The Fiji destination is to one of Fiji’s main ports of entry, Lautoka in Viti Levu D240.
- New Zealand to Fiji: 1179 nautical miles/4 days 22 hours
- Australia to Fiji: 1923 nautical miles/8 days
- Tonga to Fiji: 487 nautical miles/2 days 01 hours
- Samoa to Fiji: 665 nautical miles/2 days 19 hours
- French Polynesia to Fiji: 1907 nautical miles/7 days 23 hours
- New Caledonia to Fiji: 705 nautical miles/2 days 23 hours
- Papua New Guinea to Fiji: 1934 nautical miles/8 days 01 hours
- The Solomon Islands to Fiji: 1131 nautical miles/4 days 17 hours
- Nauru to Fiji: 1256 nautical miles/5 days 6 hours
- Kiribati to Fiji: 1127 nautical miles/4 days 17 hours.
Sailing Distances from the Pacific Rim
For the adventurous yachtie, getting to Fiji from other Pacific Rim countries/regions will take you less than a month. That’s whether you’re sailing from Asia or the Americas.
Note that all of the below times and distances are calculated when the vessel is doing an average speed of 10 knots. The Fijian destination is Lautoka in Viti Levu.
- Indonesia to Fiji: 3112 nautical miles/12 days 23 hours
- Singapore to Fiji: 4664 nautical miles/19 days 10 hours
- The Philippines to Fiji: 3678 nautical miles/15 days 08 hours
- Hong Kong to Fiji: 4427 nautical miles/18 days 11 hours
- Chile to Fiji: 6163 nautical miles/25 days 16 hours
- Mexico to Fiji: 6163 nautical miles/25 days 16 hours
- Hawaii to Fiji: 2804 nautical miles/11 days 16 hours
- Los Angeles to Fiji: 4817 nautical miles/20 days 02 hours.