The Cost of Buses in Fiji
Many of us might have the image of tiny islands scattered across the South Pacific Ocean when we think of Fiji, but there are a limited few islands that are significant in landmass and can be explored by bus. Fiji’s main island, Viti Levu, holds a wide array of towns, cities, villages, resorts and landscapes accessible by bus. So if you’re on a budget holiday, travelling around the island by bus is an affordable and fun way to go. Check out the typical prices of buses in Fiji in our guide to How Much Does it Cost to Travel Fiji by Bus?
5 Tips for Taking the Bus in Fiji
- Using a public or express bus on Viti Levu? You’ll need to get an e-ticket, which can be purchased from Vodafone stores
- Taking the public bus is true local experience in Fiji – give it a go!
- Express buses run on a timetable, while public buses run on “Fiji time“
- Have some cash available to pay for buses, especially on Vanua Levu and Taveuni
- Be aware that public buses on Taveuni and Ovalau couple as school buses so only run a couple of times a day.
City Buses Prices
By far your cheapest mode of transport in Fiji, city buses are an affordable way to get around a city – or even an island in some cases – for just a few dollars.
City buses are available in towns and cities across Viti Levu, Vanua Levu and Taveuni. An e-ticket is required to pay for the bus on Viti Levu, while cash is used to pay for bus fares on the other islands.
The Cost of City Buses in Fiji
For buses on Viti Levu, disposable e-tickets are available to purchase in FJ$2, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 denominations.
- Nadi Airport to Nadi Town – FJ$1.30-$2
- Nadi to Denarau – FJ$1-2
- Nadi to Lautoka – FJ$3-4
- Ba to Navala Village – FJ$4.40-$5
- Inner-city Suva – FJ$1
- Around Ovalau Island – FJ$2
- Savusavu to Nabuka (Vanua Levu) – FJ$6.65-7.50
- Wairiki to Bouma (Taveuni) FJ$4-$6
Learn how to get bus tickets in Where to Book Bus Transport in Fiji?
Inter-City Buses (Express Buses)
Inter-city buses, otherwise known as express buses, in Fiji take you between towns and cities on Viti Levu. These buses are more like “coaches” and often feature more comfortable seating than public buses, as well as air conditioning.
Learn more about taking the express buses in How to Travel Around Fiji by Bus.
The Cost of Inter-City Buses in Fiji
- Nadi to Sigatoka (Coral Coast) – FJ$6-$10
- Nadi to Pacific Harbour – FJ$12-$15
- Suva to Pacific Harbour – FJ$5-$10
- Nadi to Suva (via Queens Road) – FJ$16-$22
- Nadi to Suva (via Queens Road) – FJ$25-$30
Hop-On Hop-Off Buses
Another type of bus found in Fiji is the hop-on-hop-off bus on Denarau Island. This bus takes passengers around the resorts and Port Denarau. Passengers just pay the one fee, either for the day or four days, and can use the service as much as they like within the timeframe.
The Cost of the Hop-On Hop-Off Bus in Denarau
- Bula Bus day pass – approx FJ$10
- Bula Bus four-day pass – approx FJ$25
- Children under 12 with a paying adult – Free
Learn more about getting to and around Denarau in 5 Ways to Get to Denarau Island.
Finally, escorted bus tours around the island of Viti Levu is another way to get around the island by bus. Bus tour prices usually include all accommodation, all transport (including boat transport if applicable), some activities and some meals.
Check out some of the bus tours of Fiji in The Best Multi-Day Bus Tours of Fiji.