A Travel Guide to Denarau Island, Fiji
They say the best beauty is natural beauty. You might question that when you reach the Fiji holiday destination of Denarau Island. The reclaimed mangrove swampland has been transformed into Fiji’s premium island for luxury holidays. From the rolling lawns to the five-star resorts, everything is polished to perfection on Denarau Island. Not only that but every type of traveller is catered to with five-star service, whether you’re a young family or newlyweds celebrating the rest of your lives together. Find out what holidays you can experience in Denarau with this complete travel guide to Denarau Island.
Fast Facts About Denarau Island
Location: West coast of Viti Levu (see map at the bottom)
Population: Denarau’s permanent population is significantly small. The majority of locals live in Nadi.
Climate: Daily average temperature – 25.5°C/77.9°F, yearly average rainfall 1,826mm/71.9″
Find out more in What is the Weather Like in Fiji?
Time Zone: FJT / GMT+12/+13
Find out more in What is the Fiji Time Zone?
How to get to Denarau: Direct international flights from the South Pacific islands, Australia, New Zealand and Korea land in Nadi International Airport, all of which have many connecting flights. Denarau Island is located 25 minutes south of Nadi Airport, connected to the mainland via road. Visitors can get to Denarau Island via taxi, public bus service (Westbus) or private transfer. See 5 Ways to Get to Denarau Island for more information.
Luxury Holidays on Denarau Island
This is what a getaway to Denarau Island is all about: luxury. It’s hard to miss it with the five-star resorts, stylish apartments, a championship golf course among other luxury activities and services. Denarau truly is a destination to treat yourself and your loved ones. Start planning your luxury getaway with The Luxury Guide to Denarau Island.
5 Luxury Activities on Denarau
- Unwind with a luxury spa treatment
- Take a scenic flight over the islands of Fiji
- Go on a private fishing charter
- Enjoy a private cruise to secret snorkelling spots
- Play at the Denarau Golf Club.
Like the sound of those? Get more information on luxury tours in our 10 Luxury Activities in Denarau.
Where to Stay in Luxury on Denarau
Considering Denarau’s accommodation options mainly consist of five-star resorts, if anything you will be spoiled for choice. Take a look at the 7 Luxury Resorts on Denarau Island to pick your dream resort.
Family Holidays on Denarau Island
The islands of Fiji are renowned for their family-friendly holidays. You’ll be hard-pressed to find better family activities and services than on Denarau Island. Families have access to fantastic kids’ clubs, activities for all ages, and comfortable rooms for any size of tribe. Start planning your family holiday with The Guide to Denarau Island for Families.
5 Family Activities on Denarau
- Cruise to the islands for snorkelling, kayaking and building sandcastles on the beach
- Make a splash at the Big Bula Waterpark (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Get the kids involved with arts, crafts and more at the resorts’ kids’ clubs
- Fly through the trees on a giant zipline tour
- Enjoy high-speed thrills on a jet boat ride.
And the list goes on! Check it out in our 10 Things to Do in Denarau with Kids.
Where to Stay on Denarau with Kids
While all the accommodation on Denarau Island caters to families, some go the extra mile for their smaller guests, as well as mum and dad. Find out some of the best family accommodation options in our 8 Family Resorts on Denarau Island.
Adult-Only Holidays on Denarau Island
While we have just mentioned how family-friendly the resorts are on Denarau Island, that doesn’t mean that your holiday has to be surrounded by over-enthusiastic children. The resorts on Denarau are very good at keeping holiday groups separate so you can enjoy your “Fiji time” just the way you like it. Find out more in The Adult-Only Guide to Denarau Island.
5 Adult-Only Activities on Denarau
- Relax in a pool with a swim-up bar in one of the Denarau resort’s adult-only areas
- Treat yourself to a spa day
- Do a yoga session in the adult-only areas, Pacific Fitness or with Kama Yoga
- Check out the bars and nightlife at Port Denarau
- Take a trip to the private island Malamala Beach Club.
For more ideas and information on each activity, check out the 10 Adult-Only Activities in Denarau.
Where to Stay on Denarau for an Adult-Only Holiday
As part of the five-star resorts’ exceptional service, there are plenty of adult-only areas from pools to lounging areas where you can relax in peace. Additionally, some resorts have entire adult-only complexes. Check them out in our 5 Best Adult-Only Resorts in Denarau.
Budget Holidays on Denarau Island
Denarau Island might not be the first choice for a budget holiday in Fiji, but most of us appreciate knowing how we can save money at any holiday destination we go to. So for those days on Denarau where you want to resist splurging, but still want to do something fun, or want to choose slightly cheaper accommodation options, make sure you read our tips in The Guide to Denarau Island on a Budget.
Things to Do on Denarau on a Budget
- Check out the sights at the Port Denarau Marina
- Do some resort-hopping
- Make use of the free resort facilities: pool, gym, entertainment programs, etc.
- Take a day trip to Nadi
- Scout out the cheap eats at Port Denarau.
For more inspiration, check out our 11 Free & Cheap Things to Do in Denarau.
Where to Stay on Denarau on a Budget
The accommodation on Denarau Island is by no means “budget accommodation”. However, we let you know the cheapest resort and apartment options, as well as Denarau alternatives, in our 10 Best Budget Accommodation on Denarau Island.
Foodie Holidays on Denarau Island
If you like to experience a new country through its flavours, then you’re onto a good thing with Denarau. Not only does the island have a wide range of eateries and dining experiences, but there’s also a wealth of hands-on food-orientated activities to please any foodie. Get more advice for foodie travel in Denarau with The Foodie Guide to Denarau Island.
5 Things to Do on Denarau for Foodies
- Go to Fijian cooking school with Flavours of Fiji (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Try a traditional Fijian “lovo” at the Fiji Culture Village (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Experience an in-the-water restaurant at the Radisson Blu Resort
- Experience fine dining at Ports O’Call or The Kitchen Grill
- Visit the Nadi produce markets.
Where to Stay on Denarau for Foodies
Denarau is blessed with fabulous resorts boasting several dining options, as well as accommodation for a self-catering holiday. Check out our top picks in our 9 Accommodation in Denarau for Foodies.
Weddings and Honeymoons on Denarau Island
Start the rest of your lives together at one of the premium wedding venues of Denarau Island. Denarau has a wide range of venues for barefoot beach weddings to sophisticated ballroom celebrations. As for honeymoons, you’ll find many romantic activities and private accommodation to spend your special time together. Start planning your romantic getaway with The Wedding & Honeymoon Guide to Denarau.
5 Things to Do on Denarau for Couples
- Spend the day on your own private beach after a scenic flight
- Indulge in a couple’s massage
- Have a romantic dinner at a private waterfront table
- Pop the question in one of the many creative ways available in Denarau
- Spend the day in one of the adult-only complexes of a five-star resort.
Where to Stay on Denarau for Couples
Whether you’re seeking romance and luxury in your private suite or the dream venue for your wedding, we list your best options in our 6 Wedding & Honeymoon Resorts in Denarau.