How to Plan the Best Trip to Denarau Island, Fiji
They say the best beauty is natural beauty. You might question that when you reach the Fiji holiday destination of Denarau Island. The reclaimed mangrove swampland has been transformed into Fiji’s premium island for luxury holidays. From the rolling lawns to the five-star resorts, everything is polished to perfection on Denarau Island. Not only that but every type of traveller is catered to with five-star service, whether you’re a young family or newlyweds celebrating the rest of your lives together.
Find out what holidays you can experience in Denarau with this complete travel guide to Denarau Island.
Frequently Asked Questions About Denarau Island
Let’s not beat around the bush; here are the most commonly asked questions travellers have about visiting Denarau Island.
Where is Denarau Located?
Denarau is located on the west coast of Fiji’s main island, Viti Levu. The island is connected to the mainland by a causeway.
What is the Weather Usually Like on Denarau?
The daily average temperature on Denarau is 25.5°C/77.9°F, while the yearly average rainfall 1,826mm/71.9″. Find out more in What is the Weather Like in Fiji?
How Do You Get to Denarau?
Direct international flights from the South Pacific islands, Australia, New Zealand and Korea land at Nadi International Airport, all of which have many connecting flights. Denarau Island is located 25 minutes south of Nadi Airport, connected to the mainland via road. Visitors can get to Denarau Island via taxi, public bus service (Westbus) or private transfer. See 5 Ways to Get to Denarau Island for more information.
Is Denarau Manmade?
Yes, Denarau is a manmade island made on a reclaimed mangrove swamp. Development started in 1969 and the first hotel opened on the island in 1975.
Finally, find out more about the shops and services in our guide, Information, Shops & Services in Denarau.
What to Do on Denarau Island
As the largest tourist hub in the islands of Fiji, there’s almost nothing you can’t do on Denarau Island. Most island excursions to the Mamanuca Islands depart from here, while Denarau itself has a golf course, shopping centre, waterpark, skydive dropzone, and more.
The Top Experiences
What are the must-dos? Here are some of the Denarau highlights:
- Get some retail therapy at Port Denarau
- Take a day trip out to some stunning islands
- Experience scuba diving with Whitetip Marine Adventures (more info and book tickets on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Play golf at the Denarau Golf & Racquet Club
- Make a splash at the Big Bula Waterpark (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Hop on a fishing charter
- Take a scenic flight with Pacific Island Air (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Take one of the many exciting day trips from Denarau…
… And the list continues over in our 20 Best Things to Do in Denarau Island.
Where to Stay on Denarau Island
Aside from our top recommendations listed beside this complete travel guide to Denarau Island, we’ve compiled the best accommodations and resorts based on price, suitability for families or couples, as well as more premium offerings. What’s more, each article is written by real travellers rather than some dodgy algorithm! Yay!
Luxury Holidays on Denarau Island
This is what a getaway to Denarau Island is all about: luxury. It’s hard to miss it with the five-star resorts, stylish apartments, a championship golf course among other luxury activities and services. Denarau truly is a destination to treat yourself and your loved ones. Start planning your luxury getaway with The Luxury Guide to Denarau Island.
Luxury Activities on Denarau
- Unwind with a luxury spa treatment
- Take a scenic flight over the islands of Fiji (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Go on a private fishing charter
- Enjoy a private cruise to secret snorkelling spots with PJ’s Sailing Adventures
- Play at the Denarau Golf Club.
Like the sound of those? Get more information on luxury tours in our 10 Best Luxury Experiences in Denarau.
Luxury Accommodation on Denarau
Considering Denarau’s accommodation options mainly consist of five-star resorts, if anything you will be spoiled for choice. Take a look at the 7 Luxury Resorts on Denarau Island to pick your dream resort.
Family Holidays on Denarau Island
The islands of Fiji are renowned for their family-friendly holidays. You’ll be hard-pressed to find better family activities and services than on Denarau Island. Families have access to fantastic kids’ clubs, activities for all ages, and comfortable rooms for any size of tribe. Start planning your family holiday with The Guide to Denarau Island for Families.
Family Activities on Denarau
- Cruise to the islands for snorkelling, kayaking and building sandcastles on the beach (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Make a splash at the Big Bula Waterpark (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Get the kids involved with arts, crafts and more at the resorts’ kids’ clubs
- Fly through the trees on a giant zipline tour (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Enjoy high-speed thrills on a jet boat ride with Excitor Fiji.
And the list goes on! Check it out in our 10 Things to Do in Denarau with Kids.
Family Accommodation on Denarau
While all the accommodation on Denarau Island caters to families, some go the extra mile for their smaller guests, as well as mum and dad. Find out some of the best family accommodation options in our 8 Family Resorts on Denarau Island.
Adults-Only Holidays on Denarau Island
While we have just mentioned how family-friendly the resorts are on Denarau Island, that doesn’t mean that your holiday has to be surrounded by over-enthusiastic children. The resorts on Denarau are very good at keeping holiday groups separate so you can enjoy your “Fiji time” just the way you like it. Find out more in The Adults-Only Guide to Denarau Island.
Adults-Only Activities on Denarau
- Relax in a pool with a swim-up bar in one of the Denarau resort’s adults-only areas
- Treat yourself to a spa day – see the 10 Best Spas on Denarau Island
- Do a yoga session in the adults-only areas, Pacific Fitness or with Kama Yoga
- Check out the bars and nightlife at Port Denarau
- Take a trip to the private island Malamala Beach Club (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor).
For more ideas and information on each activity, check out the 10 Adults-Only Activities in Denarau.
Denarau Resorts with Adults-Only Areas
As part of the five-star resorts’ exceptional service, there are plenty of adults-only areas from pools to lounging areas where you can relax in peace. Additionally, some resorts have entire adults-only complexes. Check them out in our 5 Best Adults-Only Resorts in Denarau.
Budget Holidays on Denarau Island
Denarau Island might not be the first choice for a budget holiday in Fiji but most of us appreciate knowing how we can save money at any holiday destination we go to. So for those days on Denarau where you want to resist splurging, but still want to do something fun, or want to choose slightly cheaper accommodation options, make sure you read our tips in The Guide to Denarau Island on a Budget.
Things to Do on Denarau on a Budget
- Check out the sights at the Port Denarau Marina
- Do some resort-hopping
- Make use of the free resort facilities: pool, gym, entertainment programs, etc.
- Take a day trip to Nadi
- Scout out the cheap eats at Port Denarau.
For more inspiration, check out our 11 Free & Cheap Things to Do in Denarau.
Where to Stay on Denarau on a Budget
The accommodation on Denarau Island is by no means “budget accommodation”. However, we let you know the cheapest resort and apartment options, as well as Denarau alternatives, in our 10 Best Budget Accommodations on Denarau Island.
Foodie Holidays on Denarau Island
If you like to experience a new country through its flavours, then you’re onto a good thing with Denarau. Not only does the island have a wide range of eateries and dining experiences, but there’s also a wealth of hands-on food-orientated activities to please any foodie. Get more advice for foodie travel in Denarau with The Food Guide to Denarau Island: Places to Eat & Food Tours.
Things to Do on Denarau for Foodies
- Learn to cook Fijian food in a Fijian village on the Great Taste tour with Tourist Transport Fiji (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Try a traditional Fijian “lovo” at Sofitel Fiji Resort or The Westin Resort
- Experience an in-the-water restaurant at the Radisson Blu Resort
- Experience fine dining at Ports O’Call or The Kitchen Grill
- Visit the Nadi produce markets.
And if that hasn’t made your mouth water enough, then check out our 10 Best Foodie Experiences in Denarau, as well as our Guide to the Best Eats & Restaurants in Denarau.
Where to Eat on Denarau
- Nadina Authentic Fijian Restaurant (Building C, Shop R1 & R2, Port Denarau Marina)
- Bone Fish Seafood Restaurant (Port Denarau Marina)
- Ports O’Call (Sheraton Fiji Resort)
- The Kitchen Grill (The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa)
- Lomani Wai (Radisson Blu Resort)
Where to Stay on Denarau for Foodies
Denarau is blessed with fabulous resorts boasting several dining options, as well as accommodation for a self-catering holiday. Check out our top picks in our 9 Accommodations in Denarau for Foodies.
Weddings, Honeymoons and Romantic Getaways to Denarau Island
Start the rest of your lives together at one of the premium wedding venues of Denarau Island. Denarau has a wide range of venues for barefoot beach weddings to sophisticated ballroom celebrations. As for honeymoons, you’ll find many romantic activities and private accommodation to spend your special time together. Start planning your romantic getaway with The Wedding & Honeymoon Guide to Denarau.
Things to Do on Denarau for Couples
- Spend the day on your own private beach after a scenic flight with Turtle Airways
- Indulge in a couple’s massage
- Have a romantic dinner at a private waterfront table
- Pop the question in one of the many creative ways available in Denarau
- Spend the day in one of the adults-only complexes of a five-star resort.
So make your special time away together truly special with these 10 Most Romantic Things to Do on Denarau for Couples. Plus, check out the 7 Wedding Venues on Denarau Island.
Romantic Accommodation on Denarau
Whether you’re seeking romance and luxury in your private suite or the dream venue for your wedding, we list your best options in our 6 Wedding & Honeymoon Resorts in Denarau.
More About Denarau
That’s it for our complete travel guide to Denarau Island but by no means the end of our Denarau advice. Here are some guides to help you plan the perfect Fiji getaway:
- The Best Day Trips from Denarau
- Where to Stay in Nadi & Denarau
- 5 Best Walks from Denarau
- 10 Best Bars in Denarau
- 5 Best Shore Excursions from Denarau
Finally, you might find the 31 Tips for Travelling in Fiji and The Complete Travel Guide to Fiji useful too.