The Ultimate Guide to White Water Rafting in Fiji
One of the most surprising activities in Fiji is white water rafting. While many only experience a side of Fiji surrounding beach resorts and cocktails, travellers savvy enough to do their research will discover its more adventurous side. Experience white water rafting, river tubing or even traditional bamboo rafting among the dramatic scenery of the Navua River on Fiji’s main island, Viti Levu. We go through all of the rafting companies in this complete guide to white water rafting in Fiji.
While you’re here, discover more surprising experiences in the 101 Things to Do in Fiji: The Ultimate List.
What You Need to Know About White Water Rafting in Fiji
- All of Fiji’s white water rafting trips depart from the Pacific Harbour and the neighbouring town of Navua. Learn more about the area in The Complete Travel Guide to the Pacific Harbour & Beqa. Note that all rafting companies offer pick-ups across Viti Levu for a fee
- The minimum age for rafting the upper Navua River is eight years old. Other rafting tours do not have age limits
- Bring a bottle of water, sunscreen, swimwear with quick-dry shorts and top, a dry change of clothes to leave on the bus/in the village lockers, closed shoes that you don’t mind getting wet (all tours include a bit of hiking), a sunhat and sunglasses with a strap
- Rafting tours include a dry pack to bring small items so just bring what’s listed above or else you might have to leave valuables on the bus or at the rafting company’s office
- While you can bring your own camera equipment, note that it’s highly like to get damp, even in the dry pack provided. An action camera will serve you best, but the companies will not accept responsibility if it gets lost or broken.
Fiji’s premier rafting adventure is on the upper Navua River, only accessible with Rivers Fiji. Join a mix of local and expat guides for an adventure to remember among the towering gorge walls shrouded in moss and tropical jungle. Stop by majestic waterfalls and indulge in a deli-style lunch with coconut bread. Look out for native bird species as you raft through a conservation area established by Rivers Fiji themselves. An experience in itself is the journey to and from the river in a 4WD bus passing Fijian villages and Viti Levu’s rugged heartland.
The grade of rapids is from grades two to three. In other words, exciting but not too extreme. Trips depart on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and last approximately 11 hours.
Note that Rivers Fiji also offers white water rafting trips of the lower Navua River on grade one to two rapids, as well as inflatable kayaking on the ‘Luva River incorporating more cultural experiences.
Cost: Approximately FJ$500 per person
Location: Rivers Fiji office, Lot 5, Arts Village, Pacific Harbour. Trips can be booked and depart from the office. Resort pick-ups are available for a fee.
Discover Fiji Tours
Offering just about every way possible to experience the Navua River, Discover Fiji Tours promises a memorable day on Fiji’s iconic river. All of their adventures take place on the middle-lower Navua River where rapids are gentle and undulating, ranging from grades one to two.
Jump on their white water rafting or inflatable kayaking trip, which begins with an hour’s longboat journey upstream. Take in the towering gorge scenery and tropical forest before reaching the rafting start point. You’ll be given the tuition on rafting necessary for your journey back down the river where you’ll stop at a gorgeous waterfall for a swim. Lunch is included in the tour.
For more traditional rafting in Fiji, join Discover Fiji Tours’ Jewel of Fiji Day Tour which includes rafting on a traditional bamboo raft known as a bilibili. Admittedly, it’s a smooth ride with very few rapids involved. The tour also includes a Fijian village tour, swimming in a waterfall pool, and enjoying a scenic ride by longboat up the Navua River.
Cost: FJ$185-$300 per adult (child fares are about half the adult price)
Location: Discover Fiji Tours river base, Naitata Road, Navua. Resort pick-ups are available for a fee.
River Tubing Fiji
Finally, an alternative way to “raft” in Fiji is river tubing. This is essentially a large inflatable rubber ring that will take you down the gentle rapids of the middle to lower Navua River. Hit River Tubing Fiji up and they’ll show you what it’s all about on their unique river tubing tour.
You’ll travel up the Navua River on a colourful longboat, absorbing the stunning river scenery with cascading waterfalls and tropical rainforest. Stop by a Fijian village for a tour and to see how the locals live. Then, the excitement begins as you make your way back downstream on an inflatable tube. On top of all that, a riverside lunch is included.
Cost: Approximately FJ$185 per adult (child fares are about half the adult price)
Location: Raiwaqa Settlement, Navua. Resort pick-ups area available.
More About White Water Rafting in Fiji
- 10 Epic Adventure Activities in Fiji
- 101 Things to Do in Fiji: The Ultimate List
- 5 Best River Cruises in Fiji