Island-hopping Passes for Fiji
Fiji is made up of 333 islands, so it would almost be a crime to venture to this stunning archipelago and not do some island-hopping. Luckily, there are ferry passes for the Mamanuca and Yasawa Islands to help you get between islands as often as you choose without blowing your budget. Find out about the ferry passes to travel around Fiji in this guide.
Learn more about using the ferry in The Guide to Travelling in Fiji by Ferry.
Quick Tips for Using a Hop-on Hop-off Ferry in Fiji
- After booking your ferry pass, note down your booking reference number or print out your booking email, which you will need for checking in
- Before getting on the ferry for the first time from Port Denarau, you need to reconfirm your booking either at the Awesome Adventures Nadi International Airport office in the Customs Hall or at the check-in desk at Port Denarau at least a day before departure
- Remember to book your complimentary coach transfer between Nadi, Denarau or Wailoaloa or Port Denarau that is included in all ferry passes with Awesome Adventures/South Sea Cruises
- It is possible to extend passes before your pass expires at the Travel Desk onboard the ferry.
For more tips, check out How to Make the Most of Your Fiji Island Hopping-Pass.
Hop-on Hop-off Ferry Passes
Awesome Adventures, run by South Sea Cruises (just in case you get confused if you get on a South Sea Cruises-branded ferry – you’re probably on the right one), has hop-on hop-off ferry passes and are the only company in Fiji to have as such. Ferries depart from Port Denarau and do runs in the Mamanuca and Yasawa Islands.
There are two types of hop-on hop-off ferry passes they offer: the Bula Pass and the Awesome Pass. Both passes are available for 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15 days.
The Bula Pass
The Bula Pass allows the pass-holder to use the Awesome Adventures ferry (known as the Yasawa flyer) as often as they like within the time specified on their pass, i.e. either 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 or 15 days. The pass is activated from the first day you travel and remains active until to the last day inclusively. Check out the Bula Pass on Viator and Tripadvisor.
The ferries run on a scheduled timetable, so as long as you have your Bula Pass and meet the ferry on time, you can get onto the ferry without having to book ahead. Bula Passes can be booked online and picked up from the Awesome Adventures check-in desk at the Port Denarau passenger terminal.
The Awesome Pass
The Awesome Pass is a more inclusive ferry pass that includes scheduled coach transfers from Nadi and Denarau to and from the ferry, the ability to hop on and off the Awesome Adventures ferry, and stays at selected accommodations.
There are three types of Awesome Passes depending on what quality of rooms you want to stay in for your accommodation:
- Simple Stays – includes all meals and accommodation either in a dorm with shared bathrooms or lodge/bure with ensuite
- Relaxed Resorts – optional prepaid meal plans and accommodation either in a dorm with shared bathrooms or lodge/bure with ensuite
- Relaxed Resorts Upgrade – optional prepaid meal plans and accommodation in a higher room-category bure such as with ensuite and with a beachfront location.
Although you prepay for the Awesome Pass, you must still make reservations for transfers and accommodation at least 24 hours before travel.
Scheduled Itinerary Ferry Passes
Awesome Adventures also offers set itinerary ferry passes known as Awesome Packages or New Short Breaks. They are similar to The Awesome Pass in that they have inclusions, such as your ferry transfers, meals and accommodation. What makes them different, however, is that they are set scheduled itineraries, taking you to their suggested islands and staying at their recommended resorts. In short, the Awesome Packages and New Short Breaks removes the hassle of planning your own trip.
There are four types of Awesome Packages with Awesome Adventures:
- 5-Night Island Time Package (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- 6-Night Coconut Cruiser Package (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- 8-Night Fiji Discovery Package
- 11-Night Tropical Island Explorer Package
New Short Breaks
There are three types of New Short Breaks. These are 1 to 3-night trips with ferry transfers, accommodations, meals and activities included. There is the option to add on additional nights in each accommodation. The trips include:
- Sea’s Every Day – Snorkelling in the Mamanucas, snorkelling with sharks and manta rays in the Yasawas
- Short & Shark Snorkel – Visit an island in the Mamanucas and snorkel with sharks in the Yasawas. Find out more on Viator and Tripadvisor
- Ultimate Encounters – A one-night trip to Barefoot Kuata Resort to swim with sharks.
Other Ferries & Cruises in Fiji
If the above ferry passes aren’t right for you, then consider one of the other ways to get between Fiji’s islands.
Other Ferries in Fiji
One-way/return transfers between Port Denarau and Malolo Island in the Mamanuca Islands can be organised with Malolo Cat.
For getting between Viti Levu, the Lomaiviti Islands and Vanua Levu, there are ferries with Interlink Shipping Line, Fiji Searoad Service and Goundar Shipping.
Ferries between Taveuni and Vanua Levu are available with Amazing Grace and Goundar Shipping, who also have ferries to Kadavu.
Check out the fares for these trips in How Much Do Water Taxis & Ferries Cost in Fiji?
Cruises in Fiji
Fiji has a couple of small-ship cruises sailing the Mamanuca and Yasawa Islands throughout the year, as well as to Fiji’s more remote islands on selected dates. This can be an alternative hassle-free way to do some island hopping while staying on the ship for accommodation. Find out more in The Guide to Cruises Around Fiji.
For more ways to travel around Fiji, check out the 7 Ways to Get Around Fiji.