Travel Guide to the Suncoast, Fiji
Welcome to the side of Fiji that receives most sunshine hours. It’s a side of Fiji that is far less visited yet seems to have it all from scuba diving among stunning coral structures in the Bligh Water to inland adventures on the lead up to Mt Tomanivi, Fiji’s highest peak. There are bustling Indo-Fijian towns, authentic Fijian villages (including the most picturesque one in Fiji), beaches, waterfalls, spas, private islands and budget hotels. So when you’re looking for your next Fiji destination, consider this northern stretch of Fiji’s main island, Viti Levu. We’ll guide you through all the styles of travel available with this complete travel guide to the Suncoast.
Fast Facts About the Suncoast
Location: Northern region of Viti Levu between Lautoka and Korovou (see map below)
Climate: Daily average temperature – 28°C/82°F, yearly average rainfall – 2,500mm/98″
Find out more in What is the Weather Like in Fiji?
Time Zone: FJT / GMT+12/+13
Find out more in What is the Fiji Time Zone?
How to get to the Suncoast: Direct international flights from the South Pacific islands, Australia, New Zealand and Korea arrive at Nadi International Airport, all of which have many connecting flights. The Suncoast can be accessed along the Kings Road between Nadi and Suva. See 5 Ways to Get to the Suncoast for more information.
Budget Holidays on the Suncoast
For backpackers or budget travellers road tripping around Fiji, the Suncoast provides some excellent (albeit a little rugged) budget accommodation. From dorms in lodges to cheap bures (Fijian-style bungalows), it can all be found along the northern coast of Viti Levu. A backpacker hotspot is Nananu-i-Ra Island, just a 10-minute boat ride from the mainland and packed with budget cottages, a lodge and free activities. Find out more in The Guide to the Suncoast on a Budget.
Things to Do on the Suncoast on a Budget
- Visit a cave known as the Home of the Snake God
- Kayak and wander around Nananu-I-Ra Island
- Check out the Tomb of Udre Udre
- Visit the Church of the Black Christ
- Go on a snorkelling trip to the outer reefs.
For more inspiration, check out our 10 Free & Cheap Things to Do on the Suncoast.
Where to Stay on the Suncoast on a Budget
The Suncoast has a wide range of budget accommodation from cheap hotels to lodges. Understandably, budget rooms on the Suncoast are very simple but certainly make do for the backpacker lifestyle. Check out our 8 Best Budget Accommodation on the Suncoast. Homestays and holiday homes are also quite abundant along the Suncoast in comparison to elsewhere in Fiji, so check out our 5 Best Homestays on the Suncoast and 6 Best Holiday Homes on the Suncoast too.
Luxury Holidays on the Suncoast
In this slightly less developed part of Fiji, five-star resorts aren’t quite a thing here. You will find luxury, however, in the tranquillity, the authenticity of the culture and mountains-to-sea adventures available where the activities are sure to at least make you feel richer in the things that matter. That isn’t to say that there aren’t some pretty special places to stay in between a private island retreat and a few luxury villas. Get more advice in The Luxury Guide to the Suncoast.
5 Luxury Activities on the Suncoast
- Arrive on the Suncoast in style by helicopter or seaplane
- Scuba dive among the complex coral structures of the Bligh Water
- Indulge in a relaxing spa treatment at one of the Suncoast’s day spas
- Go on half-day or multi-day guided excursions to villages, waterfalls and the highest peak in Fiji
- Spend the day on the open water on a sports fishing charter.
Like the sound of those? See more “spoil yourself” activities with our 10 Luxury Activities on the Suncoast.
Where to Stay in Luxury on the Suncoast
While the Suncoast isn’t exactly brimming with five-star resorts, there are some well-appointed four-star resorts with luxury room options, 4.5-star hotels and one luxury private island resort. Check them out in 5 Best Luxury Resorts on the Suncoast.
Family Holidays on the Suncoast
The Suncoast is definitely for the family who wants to experience Fiji together. There are no kids’ clubs, very limited nanny services… Just lots of family-friendly adventures. Educate the kids and yourselves with Fijian village visits, discover Fiji’s natural playgrounds and encounter exciting wildlife. Check out The Guide to the Suncoast for Families for more information.
5 Family Activities on the Suncoast
- Play on a waterfall slide at the Narara Village
- Experience the excitement of a dolphin cruise
- Have a cultural experience at the Navala Village – Fiji’s most picturesque village
- Walk to waterfalls in the Koroyanitu National Park
- Play tennis, volleyball, board games or crab racing.
And the list goes on! Check it out in our 10 Things to Do on the Suncoast with Kids.
Where to Stay on the Suncoast
While many families choose to stay at some of the Suncoast’s more premium resorts, there are also bunk options in some of the budget accommodations for the budgeting family perhaps driving around the island of Viti Levu. Check out our top recommendations in 10 Best Family Resorts on the Suncoast.
Adult-Only Holidays on the Suncoast
While adult-only resorts are becoming ever more popular in Fiji, unfortunately, this trend is yet to reach the Suncoast. However, the dread of being surrounded by overenthusiastic children can be easily remedied by following these simple tips:
- Choose exactly who you share your getaway with by staying in one of the Suncoast’s private villas
- Plan your visit to the Suncoast during Fiji’s low seasons – preferably between January and March where resorts are much quieter
- Some accommodations on the Suncoast are much more targeted at couples, rather than families, such as The Fiji Orchid
- Ask about the quietest rooms in the resorts. The honeymoon bures at Wananavu Beach Resort and the Luxury Ocean Front Villa at the Volivoli Beach Resort, for instance, are tucked away in quieter areas of the resort complex to set the right tone for guests.
If you have your heart set on adult-only resorts, then think about changing your destination. The Coral Coast is also on Fiji’s main island, Viti Levu but on the south coast. See this region’s selection of adult-only resorts in 6 Adult-Only Resorts on the Coral Coast.
Foodie Holidays on the Suncoast
With such a rich and diverse culture living along the Suncoast, there are lots of opportunities to try authentic cuisine. In the towns of Rakiraki, Lautoka and Ba, indulge in flavoursome Indo-Fijian meals at incredibly cheap prices, while a homestay in a Fijian village will involve ceremonies surrounding food and a chance to dine with a Fijian family. On top of that, resorts offer a fun range of foodie activities, from cooking classes to handline fishing. Find out more in The Foodie Guide to the Suncoast.
5 Things to Do on the Suncoast for Foodies
- Learn how to make Fijian or Indo-Fijian cuisine in a cooking class
- Visit the local markets in Rakiraki and Lautoka
- Indulge in a private dining experience on a beach
- Experience a kava ceremony
- Try Fijian food at the Suncoast’s restaurants.
And if that hasn’t made your mouth water enough, then check out our 10 Things to Do on the Suncoast for Foodies.
Where to Stay on the Suncoast for Foodies
Looking for a place to stay with divine food, plenty of food-related experiences or with self-catering facilities? Check out our 10 Best Accommodation on the Suncoast for Foodies.
Weddings and Honeymoons on the Suncoast
Let’s be honest, busy resorts can be kind of a mood-killer, so consider the more peaceful side of Fiji for your romantic getaway or something more. There are a few accommodations on the Suncoast offering wedding venues and packages to make planning your destination wedding simple, while you’ll find plenty of honeymoon rooms and experiences to make your time together in Fiji extra special. See more information in The Wedding & Honeymoon Guide to the Suncoast.
5 Things to Do on the Suncoast for Couples
- Experience the tranquillity of kayaking from island to island together
- Indulge in a couples’ massage
- Set the scene with a romantic sunset cruise
- Discover the real Fiji together on a self-drive tour of the Suncoast
- Enjoy a candlelit private dinner on a floating pontoon.
So make your special time away together truly special with these 10 Romantic Activities on the Suncoast for Couples Plus, check out the 7 Best Wedding Venues on the Suncoast.
Where to Stay on the Suncoast for Couples
Whether you’re seeking a base for a romantic getaway, renewing your vows or starting the rest of your lives together, we list your best options in our 7 Best Wedding & Honeymoon Resorts on the Suncoast.