How to Plan the Best Trip to the Coral Coast, Fiji
A stretch of coastline scattered with palm-fringed beaches leading into crystal clear waters decorated in reefs… Sounds like a magical place for an island getaway right? That’s the Coral Coast of Fiji located on the main island, Viti Levu. Boasting one of the most stunning coastlines in the region, the Coral Coast is an idyllic getaway for families, couples, backpackers and groups of sun-seeking mates. What’s more, the coast has the perfect balance of rich Fijian culture, nature exploration and doing absolutely… nothing… Ah, bliss!
Find out more about spending your Fiji time on the Coral Coast in this complete travel guide to the Coral Coast.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Coral Coast
Let’s not beat around the bush; here are the most commonly asked questions travellers have about visiting the Coral Coast.
Where is the Coral Coast, Fiji?
The Coral Coast is located on the south coast of Fiji’s main island, Viti Levu. It stretches from Natadola Beach in the west to the Pacific Harbour in the east, with the main hub of the coast being the town of Sigatoka.
What is the Weather Usually Like on the Coral Coast?
The daily average temperature on the Coral Coast is 26.7°C/80.06°F, while the yearly average rainfall is 2,075mm/81.69″. Find out more in What is the Weather Like in Fiji?
How Do You Get to the Coral Coast?
Direct international flights from the South Pacific islands, Australia, New Zealand and Korea land at Nadi International Airport, all of which have many connecting flights. From there, the Coral Coast is accessible via road transport on the Queens Road. See the 5 Ways to Get to the Coral Coast for more information.
What is Known as the Gateway to the Coral Coast?
Although the Coral Coast incorporates Natadola Beach in the west up to the Pacific Harbour in the east, the town of Sigatoka is considered the gateway to the Coral Coast, mainly because it is the largest settlement on the coast.
And check out the Information, Shops & Services on the Coral Coast for more practical tips.
What to Do on the Coral Coast
The resorts of the Coral Coast allow you to do all of your Fiji classics, from scuba diving to indulging in a spa day. Outside of your resort, however, are amazing national parks to discover, authentic Fijian villages welcoming visitors, exciting jet boat tours taking you into the rugged interior of Viti Levu, and much more.
The Top Experiences on the Coral Coast
What are the must-dos? Here are some of the Coral Coast highlights:
- Explore the Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park
- Refresh at the Biausevu Waterfall
- Go jet boating with Sigatoka River Safari
- Meet native animals at Kula Wild Adventure Park (more info and book tickets on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Try glassblowing with Hot Glass Fiji
- Relax on Natadola Beach
- Do some game fishing with Sigatoka Fishing (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Take one of the many exciting day trips from the Coral Coast…
… And the list continues over in our 15 Best Things to Do on the Coral Coast.
Where to Stay on the Coral Coast
Aside from our top recommendations listed alongside this complete travel guide to the Coral Coast (or at the bottom, if you’re reading this on mobile), we’ve compiled the best accommodations and resorts based on price, suitability for families or couples, as well as more premium offerings. What’s more, each article is written by real travellers rather than some dodgy algorithm! Yay!
Budget Holidays on the Coral Coast
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to burn a hole in your wallet to enjoy a holiday or backpacking trip in Fiji. This is especially true for the Coral Coast! With no expensive water transfers (just an ultra-cheap express bus), a range of budget accommodations and free and cheap activities, you can definitely spend some quality time on the Coral Coast without breaking the bank. Find out more in The Guide to the Coral Coast on a Budget.
Things to Do on the Coral Coast on a Budget
- Do an introductory scuba diving lesson in your resort’s pool, such as at Mango Bay Resort and Crusoe’s Retreat
- Make your own jewellery or hat in a Fijian crafting lesson, also at the above resorts or Bedarra Beach Inn
- Visit Sigatoka and its shops and markets
- Walk at the Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park
- Visit the Biausevu Waterfall.
For more inspiration, check out our 10 Free & Cheap Things to Do on the Coral Coast.
Where to Stay on the Coral Coast on a Budget
The Coral Coast is blessed with affordable accommodation making a stay in paradise much more accessible. There are resorts available for families, couples and backpackers. Check out our 9 Best Budget Accommodations on the Coral Coast.
Luxury Holidays on the Coral Coast
With a prime position on one of the most breathtaking coasts on Viti Levu, the five-star resorts and villas of the Coral Coast are a superb option for a luxury getaway in Fiji. With famous international championship golf courses, fine dining restaurants, award-winning day spas and world-class scuba diving, there are plenty of ways to live the life of luxury on the Coral Coast, even if it’s just for a short while. Find out more in The Luxury Guide to the Coral Coast.
Luxury Activities on the Coral Coast
- Enjoy fine dining at the Ivi or Navo Restaurant
- Indulge in a luxury spa treatment
- Spend the day on a private fishing charter with Sigatoka Fishing Charters (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Play golf at a championship course
- Scuba dive in the “soft coral capital”.
Like the sound of those? See more “spoil yourself” activities in our list of the 10 Best Luxury Experiences on the Coral Coast.
Where to Stay in Luxury on the Coral Coast
Looking for a five-star resort where all your troubles will melt away? Or how about a private luxury villa on one of the most stunning coasts in Fiji? Check out your options in our list of the 6 Best Luxury Resorts on the Coral Coast.
Family Holidays on the Coral Coast
When they say that Fiji is one of the best family-friendly island destinations in the world, we think they were referring to the Coral Coast! The shores are scattered with family-friendly resorts, from the luxury resorts with fantastic kids’ clubs to the more budget stays with family rooms and plenty of activities to keep you and the little ones active. On top of that, the Coral Coast has a great range of family attractions for those days that you want to get out of your resort and explore. Find out more in The Guide to the Coral Coast for Families.
Family Activities on the Coral Coast
- Waterslide, zipline and check out the wildlife at the Kula Wild Adventure Park (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Jump on a jet boat tour and discover the villages, scenery and high-speed thrills of the Sigatoka River
- Go horse riding on Natadola Beach
- Let your kids loose in the kids’ clubs of the Coral Coast’s family-friendly resorts
- Do a beginner’s scuba diving lesson for children aged 8 and above.
And the list goes on! Check it out in our 10 Things to Do on the Coral Coast with Kids.
Where to Stay on the Coral Coast
Find resorts with family rooms, family-friendly activities and child services, such as kids’ clubs and babysitting, in our 10 Best Family Resorts on the Coral Coast.
Adults-Only Holidays on the Coral Coast
If you envisioned your Fiji getaway to be a peaceful experience, perhaps to spend some time with your loved one, to enjoy a solo timeout or get together with a group of friends, then you might want to consider one of the fantastic adults-only holiday experiences on the Coral Coast. With resorts offering child-free areas, and even entire resorts reserved exclusively for adults, you can be sure that you will enjoy “Fiji time” undisturbed. Find out more in The Adults-Only Guide to the Coral Coast.
Adults-Only Activities on the Coral Coast
- Indulge in a Coral Coast spa treatment
- Have dinner at one of the adults-only restaurants
- Hire a kayak for a private paddle along the coast
- Spend the day by the adults-only pool
- Drink and be merry at one of the Coral’s Coast bars.
For more ideas and information on each activity, check out the 10 Adults-Only Activities on the Coral Coast.
Where to Stay on the Coral Coast for an Adults-Only Holiday
When it comes to adults-only retreats on the Coral Coast, you have a few options: stay in a luxury resort with an adult-only area, hire a private holiday home, or stay in one of the exclusive adult-only resorts. In these resorts, guests must be over the age of 16 years old. Check them out in our 6 Adults-Only Resorts on the Coral Coast.
Foodie Holidays on the Coral Coast
Whether we like to admit it or not, the food we try on holiday is often one of the highlights. This will certainly be the case on the Coral Coast where the rich Fijian culture is shared through its cuisine and food-orientated activities. Find out more in our Food Guide to the Coral Coast: Places to Eat & Food Tours.
Things to Do on the Coral Coast for Foodies
- Learn to cook Fijian food in a Fijian cooking class at the Mango Bay Resort or Fiji Hideaway Resort
- Go to the Sigatoka Market
- Do a tropical garden tour at the Wellesley Resort
- Try Fijian dishes like kokoda and ika vakaklolo
- Have lunch in a Fijian village on the Sigatoka River Safari.
And if that hasn’t made your mouth water enough, then check out our 10 Best Foodie Experiences on the Coral Coast.
Where to Eat on the Coral Coast
- Ocean Terrace Restaurant (Bedarra Beach Inn, Sunset Strip, Korotogo)
- Ivi Restaurant (Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, Korotogo)
- Navo Restaurant (InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, Natadola Beach)
- Sazanami Restaurant (The Warwick Fiji, Korolevu)
- Raj’s Curry House (Sigatoka)
Where to Stay on the Coral Coast for Foodies
Looking for a place to stay with exquisite food and plenty of food-orientated experiences? Or perhaps some self-catering accommodation so you can experiment with local ingredients? Check out our 10 Best Accommodations on the Coral Coast for Foodies.
Weddings, Honeymoons and Romantic Getaways on the Coral Coast
There couldn’t be a more romantic setting: soft sandy beaches fringed with lush palms and crystal clear waters. No wonder so many couples choose the Coral Coast as the place to escape to for a romantic getaway or even decide to start the rest of their lives together. Many of the resorts on the Coral Coast specialise in romance with dedicated wedding services, honeymoon packages and plenty of activities for couples. Find out more in our Wedding, Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to the Coral Coast.
Things to Do on the Coral Coast for Couples
- Enjoy a romantic sunset cruise together from the InterContinental Fiji Resort or Likuri Island
- Have dinner in a private cabana at The Warwick Fiji
- Indulge in a couples massage
- Explore the coast in a double kayak
- Go horse riding together from the Mango Bay Resort or Wellesley Resort.
So make your special time away together truly special with these 10 Most Romantic Things to Do on the Coral Coast for Couples. Plus, check out the 10 Best Wedding Venues on the Coral Coast.
Where to Stay on the Coral Coast for Couples
Whether you’re seeking a base for a romantic getaway, renewing your vows or starting the rest of your lives together, we list your best options in our 10 Wedding & Honeymoon Resorts on the Coral Coast.
Explore More of Our Travel Guide to the Coral Coast
That’s it for our complete travel guide to the Coral Coast but by no means the end of our advice! Check out the following guides for more interesting tips about Sigatoka, Korotogo, Natadola Beach and beyond:
- The Best Day Trips from the Coral Coast
- The Best Car Rentals on the Coral Coast
- 7 Best Walks on the Coral Coast