What is the Weather Like in Fiji in June?
If you’re looking to escape the winter (or get a headstart on summer depending on where you are from), then there’s no better place to serve you than the islands of Fiji. Fiji and its winterless islands are a spectacular spot to visit in June, with warm days, comfortably cool evenings, warm waters for swimming and hardly a drop of rain. Arguably, June is one of the best months to visit Fiji, which more and more tourists are starting to realise, so you’ll start to notice the islands getting busier toward the end of June. If Fiji in June sounds like your kind of heaven on Earth then get ready for your Fiji holiday with this guide to the Fiji weather in June.
5 Tips for Travelling Fiji in June
- Early and mid-June is considered the tourist shoulder season so look out for good deals on flights and accommodation. However, expect things to get busier (and more expensive) toward the end of June.
- Be sure to apply high-factor sunscreen at regular intervals due to the high UV levels during June.
- The nights feel considerably cooler than the day, so make sure to pack some slightly warmer layers for the evenings.
- While June is during the “dry season” know that it could still rain at any time.
- June is considered a safe time to visit Fiji with little risk of cyclones.
Typical Temperatures in June
Winter is here in Fiji, however, it doesn’t feel like your typical winter with the maximum average temperatures reaching 26.5°C / 80°F and the minimum average temperatures being 21°C / 70°F usually at night. The only chill you’ll feel is the gentle breeze from the Pacific Ocean.
Temperatures in Nadi & Suva
- Nadi: average max temperature – 29.2°C / 84.6°F, average minimum temperature – 19.3°C / 66.7°F
- Suva: average max temperature – 27.6°C / 81.7°F, average minimum temperature – 21.4°C / 70.5°F.
Sea Temperature in June
Jumping in the sea for snorkelling, swimming, surfing or whatever you decide to do will feel comfortable as can be with sea temperatures around 26.5°C / 80°F during June.
Hours of Sun in June
There are plenty of sunshine hours to be had with an average of 6 hours of bright sunshine each day. Daylight hours average at 11 daylight hours per day.
UV Levels During June
While UV levels are lower than what’s experienced during other times of the year in Fiji, it’s still recommended to protect yourself from the sun and wear high-factor sunscreen. UV levels can reach 7 UV index during midday.
Sunrise and Sunset During June
June brings daylight hours lasting about 11 hours a day.
- Sunrise: 6:31am at the beginning of June and 6:38am at the end of June
- Sunset: 5:37pm at the beginning of June and 5:41pm at the end of June
Rainfall in June
June is one of the driest months to visit Fiji with very little chance of rainfall in Fiji’s drier climates, such as the smaller outer islands of the Yasawa Islands. Nevertheless, there will be odd rainy spells, with Fiji receiving an average of 60mm / 2.4″ of rainfall in June and usually only 4 days of rain throughout the month.
Rainfall in Nadi and Suva
- Nadi: average rainfall in June – 62mm / 2.4″ and average rain days – 6
- Suva: average rainfall in June – 164mm / 6.5″ and average rain days – 18.
Tropical Storms in June
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April. June is one of the best months to avoid tropical cyclones in Fiji with a very low risk of tropical storms developing.
Other months that have a low risk of tropical storms include July, August and September.
Find out more about tropical storms in Fiji in our guide on How to Prepare for a Tropical Cyclone in Fiji.
Best Places to Visit in June
Any part of Fiji would be stunning to visit during this warm, dry and pretty quiet time of the year. However, if you still need inspiration, here are a few places worth checking out in Fiji during June.
Coral Coast – There is never a bad time to visit the Coral Coast on the southern coast of Viti Levu, but without the looming rainy days experienced in summer, the Coral Coast is a lot more “paradise-like” during June. This region has the best of every world with beaches, culture, coral reefs, inland adventures and more. Get inspired with our 10 Cool Things to Do on the Coral Coast.
Yasawa Islands – June is right in the middle of the Manta Ray season where you can go snorkelling with these impressive sea creatures. Besides that, there are plenty of adventures on the Yasawa Islands for the more active holidaymaker. Check it out in our 15 Incredible Things to Do in the Yasawa Islands.
Vanua Levu – While the rainy weather is away, go and explore the lesser-known yet second-largest island in Fiji, Vanua Levu. You’ll escape the tourist crowds while experiencing another side of life in Fiji. Learn more in our Guide to Vanua Levu.
June Packing List for Fiji
When travelling to Fiji in June, there are a few essential items to add to the packing list:
- High-factor sunscreen
- Light cotton layers
- Light pants/trousers (to cover your legs if leaving the resort and to keep the evening chill off)
- Flip-flops or sandals
- Sarong (another popular clothing option for when leaving the resort)
For more inspiration on what to pack, check out our Packing List for Fiji.
More About Fiji Weather in June
- 30 Tips for Travelling in Fiji
- What Does Fiji Time Mean? (& What You Need to Know About It)
- Fiji Weather in July
That’s it for the guide to the Fiji weather in June. If weather affects your decision on when to come to Fiji, you might also like to check out The Best Time to Visit Fiji.