What is the Weather Like in Fiji in October?
Who wouldn’t want to visit Fiji in October? With comfortable warm temperatures, a refreshing island breeze and dry days, October is often considered one of the best months to visit Fiji. Not only is the weather typically ideal for a tropical holiday without the threat of rain or high humidity, but October is also one of the tourist shoulder seasons in Fiji. You’ll find the islands less crowded than in the previous months, as well as accommodation and flight prices being a lot more favourable. So pack the sunglasses, hop on a plane and land in sunny Fiji during October for the ultimate island getaway! Check out the Fiji weather in October information below!
5 Tips for Travelling Fiji in October
- October is considered one of the shoulder seasons in Fiji, where tourist demand will be lower so prices will be cheaper. Look out for deals and don’t worry about booking too far in advance.
- Be sure to apply high-factor sunscreen at regular intervals due to the high UV levels during October.
- Surfing and scuba diving conditions can be hit-and-miss in October, so consider travelling between June and September for better conditions.
- While October is during the “dry season” know that it could still rain at any time.
- Look out for events on October 10, which is Fiji’s independence day.
Typical Temperatures in October
October is a cooler and drier time of the year to visit Fiji compared to the following “summer” months. Many people choose to visit Fiji in October due to the more comfortable temperatures and less humidity. The maximum average temperatures reach 27°C / 81°F and the minimum average temperatures are around 21°C / 69°F usually at night.
Temperatures in Nadi and Suva
- Nadi: average max temperature – 30.2°C / 86.4°F, average minimum temperature 20.4°C / 68.7°F
- Suva: average max temperature – 27.8°C / 82°F, average minimum temperature 21.7°C / 71.1°F
Sea Temperature in October
The tropical waters of Fiji are warm year-round, making it comfortable for water activities. Sea temperatures during October are at an average of 26°C / 79°F.
Hours of Sun in October
If the sun is what you are seeking in Fiji (let’s be honest, everyone seeks the sun in Fiji), then October is a great time to visit with an average of 5.5 hours of bright sunshine each day. Daylight hours average at 13 daylight hours each day.
UV Levels During October
UV levels are high all year round in Fiji, so it’s recommended to always wear high-factor sunscreen when going outdoors. However, UV levels are particularly high during midday in October with levels reaching 11 UV index.
Sunrise and Sunset During October
October brings daylight hours lasting about 13 hours a day.
- Sunrise: 5:49am at the beginning of October and 5:28am at the end of October
- Sunset: 6:04pm at the beginning of October and 6:12pm at the end of October.
Rainfall in October
Although October is still considered the “dry season” in Fiji, rain can happen at any time during the month. Rainfall occurs more frequently on Fiji’s largest islands, such as Viti Levu and Vanua Levu, compared to the smaller outer islands. Additionally, Fiji’s capital city on the eastern side of Viti Levu experiences much more rainfall than the popular city of Nadi on the western side of Viti Levu.
Fiji receives an average of 134mm / 5.3″ of rainfall with around 14 days out of October experiencing rain.
Rainfall in Nadi and Suva
- Nadi: average rainfall in October – 103mm / 3″ and average rain days – 9
- Suva: average rainfall in October – 234mm / 7.2″ and average rain days – 19
Tropical Storms in October
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April. This means that it is highly unlikely that a tropical storm will affect Fiji in October. However, this doesn’t mean that there is no chance of a tropical storm occurring.
Historically, tropical storms have affected Fiji during October, one of the biggest being Cyclone Bebe in 1972.
While your chances of experiencing a tropical cyclone in Fiji during October are very slim, if you want to reduce the risk further, consider travelling to Fiji between June and September.
Best Places to Visit in October
October is often seen as one of the best months to visit Fiji, so picking any one of the Fiji holiday destinations in October is sure to be a stunning and relaxing experience. However, if you’re looking for inspiration, here are a couple of ideas of particularly great Fiji destinations in October.
Labasa, Vanua Levu – Part of Fiji’s fascinating mix of cultures is the Indo-Fijian culture. Because the Diwali Festival of Light often occurring during October, experiencing Fiji’s Indo-Fijian hubs is a must! One of those hubs is Labasa on Fiji’s second-largest island, Vanua Levu. Find out more in our Guide to Vanua Levu.
Viti Levu – While the waters start to churn and the scuba diving might not be as good in October, consider hitting the walking trails of the mainland and see the amazing interior the island of Viti Levu has to offer. Walk in the Koroyanitu National Heritage Park to amazing viewpoints and waterfalls or explore the forest of the Colo-i-Suva Forest Park near Suva. Find out more in our Guide to Viti Levu!
Mamanuca Islands – October is a great time to soak up the sun, relax and unwind on an island paradise. The Mamanuca Islands are here to serve, with around 20 islands dotted off the shores of the mainland. Getting to the Mamanuca Islands and their resorts are easy and accessible to every type of traveller, whether you’re looking for a luxurious escape or backpacker haven. Learn more in our Guide to the Mamanuca Islands.
October Packing List for Fiji
When travelling to Fiji in October, there are a few essential items to add to the packing list:
- High-factor sunscreen
- Light cotton layers
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from the sun and take the edge off those slightly cooler nights)
- Light pants/trousers
- Flip-flops or sandals
- Sarong (especially when leaving a resort)
For more inspiration on what to pack, check out our Packing List for Fiji.