What is the Weather Like in April?
April in Fiji brings a whole new meaning to “April Showers”, as April is the final month of the wet season! The weather is hot, humid and often has quick bursts of heavy rain followed by sunshine. For this reason, April is a less popular time for tourists to travel to Fiji, meaning that it’s possible to get a great deal on flights and accommodation for this time. Considering there are a few islands in Fiji with a much drier climate and that there are many resorts kitted up to give you an amazing time despite the rain, travelling to Fiji in April is well worth considering! Find out more about what to expect from the weather in this guide to the Fiji weather in April!
5 Tips for Travelling Fiji in April
- April falls in the tourist low season, so look out for great deals on flights and accommodation!
- Wear high-factor sunscreen to protect yourself from the high UV levels experienced in Fiji during April.
- Because it’s the wet season, there might be a few more mosquitoes about. Make sure you pack insect repellent and follow our tips in 12 Ways to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Fiji.
- Want to avoid the rain as much as possible during the wet season? Consider heading to the Yasawa Islands where the climate is drier.
- April is usually hot and humid, but remember that most resort accommodation has air conditioning.
Typical Temperatures in April
Hot and humid, April is the final month of Fiji’s summer season so expect the temperature to feel typically tropical. The maximum average temperatures reach 31°C / 89°F and the minimum average temperatures are 20°C / 68°F usually at night.
Temperatures in Nadi and Suva
- Nadi: average max temperature – 30.6°C / 87°F, average minimum temperature – 21.7°C / 77°F
- Suva: average max temperature – 29.7°C / 85.5°F, average minimum temperature – 23.1°C / 73.6°F
Sea Temperature in April
Sea temperatures in Fiji are at some of their warmest during April being around 28°C / 82°F. Nevertheless, it will still feel refreshing after a day out in the sun!
Hours of Sun in April
Despite being the wet season, you’ll still experience a good amount of sun while in Fiji in April. The average duration of bright sunshine is 5 hours each day. Daylight hours average at 12 daylight hours.
UV Levels During April
Although you should protect yourself from the sun any time of the year in Fiji, you should do more so in April when UV levels are at their highest. UV levels can reach 11+ UV index during midday.
Sunrise and Sunset During April
April brings daylight hours lasting about 12 hours a day.
- Sunrise: 6:12am at the beginning of April and 6:19am at the end of April
- Sunset: 6:08pm at the beginning of April and 5:48pm at the end of April.
Rainfall in April
Expect to experience some rain during your stay in Fiji in April. Although it’s the last month of the wet season, April still experiences its fair share of rain. Rain comes in short and intense bursts, quickly followed by the sun.
Fiji receives an average of 288mm / 11.3″ of rainfall with around 20 days out of April experiencing rain.
Rainfall in Nadi and Suva
- Nadi: average rainfall in April – 163mm / 6.4″ and average rain days – 12
- Suva: average rainfall in April – 390mm / 15.4″ and average rain days – 22.
Tropical Storms in April
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April. While the risk of Fiji being affected by tropical cyclones in April is very low at only 1%, know that it is possible for them to occur. Learn how you can prepare in our guide to cyclones in Fiji here.
If you want to decrease the chance of experiencing the effects of a tropical storm in Fiji, then consider travelling in the dry season.
Take a look at:
Best Places to Visit in April
April is a great time to experience the Fijian culture, especially during Easter time at the beginning of April. If you’re wanting to increase your chances of having fewer rainy days, then your best bets are the small outer island groups of the Yasawas and the Mamanucas. Finally, make use of the low season rates at the Denarau Island resorts which are all kitted out for making the most of the wet season in Fiji.
Yasawa Islands – The Yasawa Islands off the western coast of Viti Levu offer some of the best village stays in Fiji, which would be particularly interesting to visit during the Easter period which is celebrated profusely in the villages! Check out some of our 10 Authentic Village Stays in Fiji.
Mamanuca Islands – Although the Yasawa Islands further north are renowned for their drier climate to escape the rainy season, the Mamanuca Island group is also worth trying to get that tropical island holiday with a little less chance of rain. Check out our Guide to the Mamanuca Islands to learn more.
Denarau Island – The resort island attached to the mainland has the perfect setup for those inevitable rainy days in April. The swimming pools offer relief from the humidity, as does the air conditioning in each room. Check out 10 Stunning Resorts in Denarau Island.
April Packing List for Fiji
When travelling to Fiji in April, there are a few essential items to add to the packing list:
- High-factor sunscreen
- Insect repellent
- Rain jacket
- Light cotton layers
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers
- Flip-flops or sandals
- Sarong (especially when leaving a resort)
For more inspiration on what to pack, check out our Packing List for Fiji.