What is the Weather Like in Fiji in November?
Although it always feels like summer in Fiji, the official start of summer is during November. Summer in Fiji is also known as the “wet season” with increased downpours, warmer temperatures and high humidity. However, these typical summer weather patterns are not usually felt until the end of November, so if you time it right, you may experience the best of Fiji’s warm weather without the downpours. November also marks the “low season” in terms of tourism, so with lower demand, resorts and activities will often offer better deals during this quiet time of the year. Sounds like a good time to visit Fiji? Then take a look at our guide below on the Fiji weather in November!
5 Tips for Travelling Fiji in November
- November is considered the low season in terms of the number of tourists visiting the islands. For this reason, don’t worry about booking too far in advance! Just go with the flow and look out for some good deals on activities and accommodation.
- Be sure to apply high-factor sunscreen at regular intervals due to the high UV levels during November.
- As it’s the start of the wet season, you may be affected more by mosquitoes. Check out 12 Ways to Avoid Mosquito Bites in Fiji.
- Want to avoid the rain as much as possible? Consider heading to the Mamanuca or Yasawa Islands where the climate is drier.
- November is usually hot and humid, but remember that most resort accommodation has air conditioning.
Typical Temperatures in November
November marks the beginning of Fiji’s summer and the wet season. The days start to get a little warmer than previous months of the years with the maximum average temperatures reaching 29°C / 84°F and the minimum average temperatures being 21°C / 69°F usually at night.
Temperatures in Nadi and Suva
- Nadi: average max temperature – 30.9°C / 87.6°F, average minimum temperature 21.5°C / 70.7°F
- Suva: average max temperature – 28.8°C / 83.8°F, average minimum temperature 22.5°C / 72.5°F
Sea Temperature in November
The tropical waters surrounding Fiji are warm year-round, but they are a little warmer than previous months during November. Expect sea temperatures to be around 27°C / 81°F.
Hours of Sun in November
Almost everyone comes to Fiji in the hope to see some sun. November is certainly a good time of the year to catch some rays with an average of 5.5 hours of bright sunshine each day. As for daylight hours, Fiji has an average of 12 daylight hours each day in November.
UV Levels During November
As with any other month in Fiji, you’ll need to have the sunscreen prepared during November. UV levels can be very intense particularly at midday during November, where UV levels can reach up to 11 UV index.
Sunrise and Sunset During November
The typical length of daylight hours during November in Fiji is 13 hours a day.
- Sunrise: 5:27am at the beginning of November and 6:21am at the end of November
- Sunset: 6:13pm at the beginning of November and 7:28pm at the end of November
Note: Daylight Savings starts around November 3/4 in Fiji, meaning the clocks turn one hour forward. Check out What is the Fiji Time Zone? for more details.
Rainfall in November
November marks the beginning of Fiji’s wet season where the country will experience more rainfall compared to other months. However, you’re more likely to experience rainy weather toward the end of November. Fiji’s rainfall is often described as “liquid sunshine” with short and intense bursts of rain often followed by sunny spells. Fiji’s largest islands experience more rain than the smaller outer islands.
Fiji receives an average of 181mm / 7.1″ of rainfall and around 17 days out of November experiencing rain.
Rainfall in Nadi and Suva
- Nadi: average rainfall in November – 138mm / 5.4″ and average rain days – 11
- Suva: average rainfall in November – 264mm / 10.4″ and average rain days – 19.
Tropical Storms in November
The South Pacific cyclone season starts in November and ends in April. While the risk of Fiji being affected by tropical cyclones in November is very low at only 1%, know that it is possible for them to occur. Learn how you can prepare in our guide to cyclones in Fiji here.
If you want to decrease the chance of experiencing the effects of a tropical storm in Fiji, then consider travelling in the dry season.
Take a look at:
Best Places to Visit in November
Because November falls in the low tourist season, anywhere in Fiji will make a great destination, especially when trying to avoid the crowds. Nevertheless, here are a few suggestions for places to visit in November.
Taveuni – Fiji’s third-largest island is known as the “Garden Island”. Make use of the forest hikes within the Bouma National Heritage Park before the wet season and the high temperatures of summer kick in. Find out more in our 20 Wonderful Things to Do in Taveuni.
Mamanuca Islands – If you really want to avoid the rain of the wet season, then consider heading to one of the outer islands like the Mamanucas, which are known for having a drier climate. The Mamanuca Islands are your postcard paradise islands with beaches, palm trees and lots of snorkelling opportunities. Get inspired by our Complete Guide to the Mamanuca Islands.
Labasa, Vanua Levu – Fiji’s second-largest island, Vanua Levu, is home to the Indo-Fijian town of Labasa. Labasa is a lively place to visit especially during the Diwali Festival of Light which is celebrated in November. There’s no better place to immerse yourself in the Indo-Fijian culture! Find out more in our Guide to Vanua Levu.
November Packing List for Fiji
When travelling to Fiji in November, there are a few essential items to add to the packing list:
- High-factor sunscreen
- Light cotton layers
- Light long-sleeved tops (to cover from sun and mosquitoes)
- Light pants/trousers
- Flip-flops or sandals
- Sarong (especially when leaving a resort)
- Rain jacket
For more inspiration on what to pack, check out our Packing List for Fiji.
More About Fiji Weather in November
- What Does Fiji Time Mean? (& What You Need to Know About It)
- 30 Tips for Travelling in Fiji
- Fiji Weather in December
That’s it for the guide to the Fiji weather in November. If weather affects your decision on when to come to Fiji, you might also like to check out The Best Time to Visit Fiji.