The Ultimate Fiji Packing List
One thing that stands between you and a holiday in paradise is packing. Whether you love it or you hate it, packing needs to be done. But what do you need to pack for Fiji? In this complete packing list for Fiji, we go through what clothes you need to pack, as well as toiletries, medication, travel accessories, essentials, things for kids, and even what type of luggage to use.
Before we dive into the Fiji packing list, be sure to bookmark Everything You Need to Know About Arriving in Fiji for even more Fiji preparation tips.
COVID Packing List Update
Due to the ever-changing requirements concerning the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be additional documents, such as a negative COVID test result, to take to Fiji. See fiji.travel/covid-19 for the latest requirements.
Essential Packing Tips for Fiji
- Be aware of what you’ve packed that you need to declare when arriving in Fiji
- If you’re taking a domestic flight, helicopter or seaplane transfer in Fiji, be sure to pack lightly! The baggage allowance is much more limited than what’s allowed on international flights – usually around 15kg (33lbs) for checked baggage per person
- On a similar note, if you are taking a domestic flight that connects to an international flight, book them together to get the international baggage allowance
- If travelling for 7 days (one week), pack enough clothes for each day. If travelling for longer, pack for 7 days then make use of the laundry services available in most resorts and hotels in Fiji
- Use Packing Cubes to organise your suitcase – see our favourites on Amazon or these premium packing cubes to separate dirty from clean clothes.
Clothes Packing List for Fiji
Fiji has consistently warm weather – usually 24-31°C (75-88°F) in the day and 18-25°C (64-77°F) in the evening – so packing light clothing is the way to go when packing for Fiji.
If staying in Fiji for less than a week, we recommend packing enough clothes for each day. If in Fiji for more than a week, then pack a week’s worth of clothes and make use of the laundry facilities in resorts and hotels.
Here’s a quick overview of what clothes to pack for Fiji. For more information, see What Clothes to Pack for Fiji.
Fiji Casual Clothing Packing List
- Dresses/Skirts below the knee for village visits for women
- Light shirts/T-shirts to cover the shoulders for village visits
- Sarong (Sulu) for village visits for women
- Light sleepwear
- Light jacket/Cardigan/Pashmina for cooler evenings
- Outfit for smart/casual dress code restaurants at luxury resorts
- Warm fleece/Jacket if you plan to do mountain hikes
Fiji Swimwear Packing List
- One-piece swimsuit for watersports/village stay for women
- Rash vest for sun and surf protection
Fiji Sun, Rain and Insect Protection Packing List
- Light cotton shirt to cover arms
- Light rain jacket/small umbrella
- UV protection top
- Insect repellent top
Fiji Footwear Packing List
For more information about each item on this packing list, see What Clothes to Pack for Fiji.
Travel Accessories and Gadgets Packing List for Fiji
Most travel accessories come under your “non-essential” packing list, but there are some accessories or gadgets that come in handy on a trip to Fiji (or are just plain fun). While everyone has their preferences, here are some ideas on what travel accessories and gadgets to pack for Fiji. See 18 Must-Have Gadgets to Pack for Fiji for information on each item.
Travel Essentials Packing List
- Visa (if applicable)
- Boarding pass/booking paperwork
- Travel ticket/booking paperwork for travel out of Fiji
- Credit card
- Fijian dollars
- Driver license/International Driver Permit (if renting a car)
Fiji Travel Accessories/Gadgets Packing List
- Snorkel gear (if you’re not staying in a resort or prefer your own)
- Beach/travel towel
- Waterproof camera
- Chargers for electronic devices
- Type 1 travel adapter
- Lifestraw water bottle (if staying in remote areas or villages)
See 18 Must-Have Gadgets to Pack for Fiji for more recommendations.
Fiji Travel Accessories/Gadgets Packing List for Kids
- Baby mosquito net
- Waterproof kids camera
- Go!: Kids Interactive Travel Diary
- Reusable Swim Diaper Training Pants
- GPS tracker/child locator
- Travel games
- Travel stroller
- Portable steriliser
- Baby formula
See 29 Essential Tips for Travelling to Fiji With Children for more information on each of the items mentioned.
Toiletries and Medication Packing List for Fiji
Everyone has their own morning routine and different toiletries they use, so this list may well have a few things you don’t use, as well as a few things missing. If you’re trying to pack light and are staying in resorts and hotels, know that many accommodations in Fiji provide shampoo, conditioner and soap in ensuite bathrooms. A first aid kit is also important to address medical problems that commonly occur in Fiji, such as sunburn, heatstroke and mosquito bites. For more information on packing your own Fiji first aid kit, see What to Medication to Pack in Your First Aid Kit for Fiji.
Fiji First Aid Kit Packing List
- Travel passport (travel vaccinations record)
- Antihistamine pills or cream
- Oral rehydration sachets (medical electrolytes)
- Baby electrolytes
- Antidiarrhoeal pills e.g. loperamide
- Nasal drops
- Disinfectant wipes
- Elastic wraps
- Antisceptic cream/spray
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Aloe vera soothing cream
- A copy of the emergency numbers in Fiji
- Antibiotics if going to remote areas – discuss with your GP first.
For information on what each medication is for, see What to Medication to Pack in Your First Aid Kit for Fiji.
Fiji Toiletries and Other Medication Packing List
- Reef-safe sunscreen
- SPF lip balm
- Insect repellent
- Seasickness pills
- Prescription medication
- Shampoo/conditioner (if not staying in resort/hotel)
- Feminine hygiene products
- Soap (if not staying in resort/hotel)
- Razor/hair removal device
- Glasses/contact lenses
- Nail clippers
- Hand sanitiser
For more health tips, see How to Stay Safe in Fiji.
What Type of Luggage to Use for Fiji
Finally, what are you going to pack it all into? Everyone has their preferences on luggage, but for Fiji, the best luggage depends on what type of travelling you plan on doing.
For those staying on the mainland or in luxury resorts, a suitcase will be suitable and easy to transport across the smooth surfaces you’re likely to encounter. For those doing a lot of moving around in Fiji, perhaps travelling by boat, a backpack is usually more practical when surfaces are not suitable for pulling a suitcase.
For more pros and cons to using a backpack or suitcase for Fiji, see What is the Best Type of Luggage for Fiji?
Luggage to Take to Fiji
- Beach bag/day pack that fits within the carry-on allowance of your chosen airline (usually 55cm x 40cm x 23cm / 21″ x 15″ x 9″)
- Small purse/camera bag
- Packing Cubes
More Packing Lists for Fiji and Other Travel Tips
That’s it for the complete packing list for Fiji but by no means the end of our packing advice! Check out the following guides for more Fiji tips:
See what to pack for the specific seasons in Fiji using our guide to The Best Time to Visit Fiji.