Is There Good Fishing in Fiji?
Fiji is a big-game angler’s paradise. The underwater ecosystem boasts a huge variety with more than 1,200 species of reef fish and a whole array of exciting game fish. While many of us like to relax in Fiji, getting out on the water is likely to be one of the most exciting (and exhausting) adventures you have. However, nothing beats the pride of successfully reeling in a big one.
In this complete fishing guide to Fiji, we’ll go over the fishing regions, the best times to go fishing, as well as other essential information you need to go fishing in Fiji.
Fishing in Fiji in Brief: Things You Need to Know
- Fiji is home to game fish species including mahimahi, giant trevally, yellowfin tuna, dogtooth tuna, blue marlin and much more – see What Types of Fish Can You Fish For in Fiji?
- Fishing is available in Fiji from almost anywhere that you have a fishing charter available – see the 10 Best Fishing Resorts in Fiji and 10 Best Fishing Tours in Fiji
- Some resorts specialise in certain types of fishing, like spearfishing – see the 5 Best Spearfishing Resorts in Fiji
- Reef fishing is a great option for those who want a taste of fishing or who are fishing with kids – see 10 Best Fishing Tours in Fiji to see who offers reef fishing
- Handline fishing is a traditional Fijian fishing technique and is sometimes on offer at resorts to try for free (or very cheap)
- Villages have their own fishing grounds, so you will need the permission of the village chief in order to fish there (don’t worry, that’s what fishing charters are for)
- While fishing is available all year round in Fiji, the best time to target most game fish is from November to March – see What is the Best Time of Year for Fishing in Fiji
- Billfish are “catch and release” only
- Some fishing charters clean up your catch and deal with local restaurants to prepare your catch for dinner
- Find a shared charter to reduce the cost of a fishing charter per person.
For more details on each of the points mentioned above, check out the 10 Things to Know About Fishing in Fiji.
The Best Fishing in Fiji
All of the resorts in Fiji will tell you that where they are is the best place to go fishing in Fiji. That’s mainly because there isn’t really a bad place for it! Highly sought game fish like marlin, sailfish, tuna, mahimahi, wahoo and giant trevally can be accessed from every island group and region in Fiji, as long as you have a fishing charter to get you to the deeper waters. As for reef fishing, there’s 6,400km² (2,470m²) of coral reef in Fiji’s waters. Enough said.
The Best Places for Fishing in Fiji
Because fishing charters are available just about everywhere in Fiji, we recommend choosing a destination that has other things that you want to do to complement your trip. Here is a list of all the regions linking to more information on what each place can offer:
- Denarau – see the 9 Best Fishing Trips from Denarau
- Coral Coast
- Pacific Harbour & Beqa
- Mamanuca Islands
- Yasawa Islands
- Lomaiviti Islands
- Vanua Levu
The Best Resorts for Fishing in Fiji
Sometimes, just picking a fishing destination in Fiji is as simple as choosing a resort that specialises in all types of fishing. As shown in our 10 Best Fishing Resorts in Fiji, there are excellent fishing resorts on the Coral Coast, Nadi, the Yasawa Islands, Mamanuca Islands and Vanua Levu. Some of our favourite resorts for fishing include:
The Types of Fish You Can Catch in Fiji
Fiji’s waters are home to some of the most exciting predator fish to target. Let your fishing guide know if there are any specific species you want to catch before the trip so they can prepare the necessary gear. Otherwise, fishing charters tend to target the easiest game or reef fish that are in season. Popular game fish in Fiji include:
- Blue marlin
- Black marlin
- Striped marlin
- Pacific sailfish
- Yellowfin tuna
- Dogtooth tuna
- Skipjack tuna
- Spanish mackerel
- Giant trevally
Reef fishing is also available in Fiji, which includes species such as:
- Sweet lip
- Coral trout
- Leather jacket
What is the Most Popular Fish in Fiji?
Between locals, the most popular fish to catch and eat are reef fish like parrotfish. For game fishing, however, yellowfin tuna is a popular fish to target.
Is There Salmon in Fiji?
Although you won’t find salmon running the rivers of Fiji, you can find red salmon cod among its reefs.
Is There Catfish in Fiji?
You won’t find catfish in Fiji, so don’t come to Fiji on a catfishing mission! (And if you meant “catfish” on the internet then, sorry, we’re no experts).
Is There Trout in Fiji?
The only trout you’ll find in Fiji are coral trout, a likely catch when reef fishing.
Learn more about fish species in What Types of Fish Can You Fish For in Fiji?
The Best Seasons for Fishing in Fiji
Fishing can be enjoyed in Fiji all year round. While skipjack tuna, Spanish mackerel, giant trevally, wahoo and mahimahi are in Fiji’s waters year-round, there are better times of the year to target these fish, as well as other seasonal game fish. Here are some of the best seasons to target Fiji’s most popular game fish:
- Blue marlin: November to January
- Black marlin: November and December
- Sailfish: June to September
- Yellowfin tuna: November to March
- Dogtooth tuna: October to March
- Skipjack tuna: January to February and August to October
- Mahimahi: October to January
- Spanish mackerel: October to December
- Wahoo: June to September
- Giant trevally: June to September.
Dive deeper into the subject with our guide, What is the Best Time of Year for Fishing in Fiji? Plus, you might also like to know how this compares to The Best Time to Visit Fiji.
Fishing Sustainability in Fiji
Fishing has a few restrictions in Fiji in order to preserve the fish populations, so there is enough fish in the waters for future generations. One of the restrictions is the minimum size limits for fish. There are certain fish species that must be returned to the water if they are too small. Check out the list of minimum fish-size limits for Fiji here.
In addition, billfish, for instance, marlin and sailfish, are for “catch and release only” in order to boost conservation efforts. Many fishing charters in Fiji operate with a “Tag and Release” programme working with The Billfish Foundation.
Some areas around Fiji are marine reserves, meaning fishing is banned. It is illegal to fish in these areas.
Do You Need a Fishing License in Fiji?
Finally, a fishing license along with permission to fish in your chosen village fishing ground is required in order to fish independently in Fiji. For this reason, we recommend either fishing with the locals or jumping on a fishing charter to ensure you are following the right protocol.
Types of Fishing Techniques Available
Finally, what types of fishing can you do in Fiji? The standard fishing charter offers trolling, which is essentially a number of fishing lines doing the work for you and all you need to do is be strong enough to reel in the big one. This is the best option for first-time fishers.
Some fishing charters offer specialities like spearfishing, popping and jigging and handline fishing. Be sure to ask your chosen fishing charter if they have the gear for a particular fishing method before the trip – that way, they can get it prepared! Do that, along with the tips we list in How to Choose the Best Fishing Tour in Fiji.
Spearfishing in Fiji
Spearfishing is an exhilarating sport in Fiji, from spearing your first fish on the reef to freediving for whoppers like wahoo and dogtooth tuna. As spearfishing is a way of life for many in the islands of Fiji, there are plenty of opportunities to get stuck into it. Learn more about spearfishing in The Complete Guide to Spearfishing in Fiji.
Fishing Charters in Fiji
Now that you know the types of fishing that can be done in Fiji, who are you going to do it with? We’ve selected some of our favourite fishing charters across the Fiji islands in the 10 Best Fishing Tours in Fiji, our top five include:
- Sigatoka Fishing Charters (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- PJ’s Sailing Adventures (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Hidden Gem Fiji
- Free Dive Fishing Charters
- Malolo Fisher Sports
Don’t forget to find more in the 10 Best Fishing Tours in Fiji.
More About Fishing in Fiji
That’s it for our complete guide to fishing in Fiji. For more fishing tips, check out the following guides:
- How To Choose the Best Fishing Tour in Fiji
- 10 Things to Know About Fishing in Fiji
- 10 Best Fishing Resorts in Fiji
Finally, for more unforgettable experiences, check out 101 Things to Do in Fiji: The Ultimate List.